Health ExpressHealth Express provides non-emergency medical transportation on an advance reservation, shared-ride basis for eligible residents of Placer County. Scheduling and keeping non-emergency medical appointments is essential to maintaining quality of life, preventing injury, and treating illness. These appointments include:
- Physicians, physician assistants, certified nurse practitioners
- Clinicians that provide health and wellness, immunizations and prevention screening services
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Recreation and respite services
- Mental health services
- Physical therapy
- Chemotherapy, infusion and radiation therapy
Who is EligibleTo be eligible for Health Express an individual must be a Placer County resident, and either over the age of 60 or disabled. Eligibility to use Health Express will be verified prior to service use and will be documented through a formal process administered by Seniors First. For an application, contact Seniors First at (530) 889-9500. Applicants with disabilities will be required to submit acceptable evidence of disability certification by another agency or signed certification of the individual’s disability by a medical or healthcare professional.
Acceptable evidence of existing disability certification includes:
- Current ADA paratransit certification documentation;
- Current SSI/SSDI award letter;
- Valid California DMV Disabled Placard receipt;
- Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs documentation of service connected disability; or
- Current Transit Discount ID for Disability.
Health Express Application English
Health Express Application Spanish
Health Express Service AreaHealth Express serves residents in Placer County from just east of Colfax to the Sacramento County line and includes the cities of Colfax, Sheridan, Foresthill, Auburn, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin and Roseville.
Sacramento ServiceRides to Sacramento area hospitals will be provided on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sacramento area hospitals served by Health Express include:
- Kaiser Permanente Fair Oaks Boulevard Medical Offices
- Kaiser Permanente Point West Medical Offices
- Kaiser Permanente Rancho Cordova Medical Offices
- Kaiser Permanente Sacramento Medical Center
- Mather VA Clinic
- McClellan VA Clinic
- Mercy General Hospital
- Mercy San Juan Medical Center
- Shriners Hospital
- Sierra Vista Hospital
- Sutter Medical Center Sacramento
- Sutter Medical Group Care Centers (Sacramento facilities only)
- UC Davis Medical Campus
Service ScheduleHealth Express operates Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. Service to Sacramento medical facilities occurs only on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Trips will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Riders may request a list of holidays and will be notified in advance of holidays and office closures.
Making a ReservationReservations are required and may be made up to two weeks in advance. A minimum of 24 hours is requested. The reservation line is open 8:00am to 5:00pm seven days per week and Spanish translation is available.
Clients with appointments in the Sacramento area are asked to make appointments Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10:00am and 2:00pm. Foresthill and Sheridan service is available Wednesdays 7:30am to 4:30pm.
When calling please be prepared to provide the following required information:
- Appointment date and time
- Destination address
- Contact information
- Special requirements
Reservation line: (916) 745-7560 or (530) 745-7560
Telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD): (888) 745-7885
Speech-to-speech (STS) service in English and Spanish: (800) 854-7784
CancellationsClients are asked to cancel unwanted reservations by 3:30pm the day before. Clients who cancel within 2 hours of a scheduled pick up will be considered no-shows. Return trips will be automatically canceled for no-shows.
As to not limit the availability of Health Express to other riders, clients with excessive no-shows may be temporarily denied service.
Guidelines for Riders
- Call to schedule a ride well in advance.
- Transportation is based on availability.
- One companion/attendant may accompany if space is available.
- Rides are shared; please allow ample time.
- Please bring exact cash. Drivers are not permitted to provide change or accept donations.
- Appropriate behavior is required.
- Wheelchairs, scooters, mobility devices and oxygen tanks are happily accepted.
- Please be prompt.
CostHealth Express One-Way Ride Fares
|Trip||With Discount Card||Regular Fare|
|Trips with Regular Advance reservation in Placer County||$1.25||$2.50|
|Same day trip in Placer County||$2.50||$5.00|
|Advance reservation to Sacramento area hospitals||$2.50||$5.00|
|Same day trip to Sacramento area hospitals||$5.00||$10.00|
|Personal care attendant||Free||Free|
|Additional companions||Same fare as rider||Same fare as rider|
|Health Express Multi-Ride Card||$12.50|
All fare purchases are Non-Refundable and Non-Transferable to local transit system.
*Eligible discount card includes Medicaid, Medicare, Medi-Cal, Senior DMV photo ID, or ADA photo ID, disability photo ID, senior photo ID issued by local public transit system.
Subscription ServiceTrips that are taken on a regular basis at the same day and time each week may be eligible for subscription service. Please inquire with your Health Express representative.
Driver AssistanceHealth Express is a curb-to-curb service unless door-to-door service is requested. The driver, for safety reasons, must stay within the sight of the vehicle at all times. Riders will not be escorted past ground floor lobby or the main door of any residence or public building. If the rider needs a wheelchair lift to board the vehicle, the driver will assist.
Service AnimalsService animals are permitted on all Health Express vehicles. The rider needs to tell Health Express that he or she will be traveling with a service animal.
This program is a community collaboration between Seniors First and Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital, Sutter Roseville Medical Center, Western Placer Consolidated Transportation Services Agency and private donations. Your tax deductible donations are appreciated.